Oversight of Corporate Social Responsibility Practices
We recognize that our activities have the potential to impact the human rights of individuals affected by our business operations. We strive at all times to integrate human rights best practices into our business processes, and we conduct our business within a framework that promotes worker and community health and safety, environmental protection, community involvement, community benefits and quality of life for employees and their families.
At Nevsun, we are committed to responsible operations and practices at the Bisha Mine, based on national and international standards of safety, environmental management, governance, and human rights. We strive to ensure that our presence has a positive socio-economic impact to the national economy and the local communities. Some of our social responsibility commitments and practices include:
Some of the Company’s social responsibility commitments and practices include:
- Actively promoting, amongst all employees, an understanding of the culture, language and history of the communities, regions and countries in which we operate
- Working to protect cultural heritage resources potentially affected by our activities
- Conducting our activities in a manner that respects traditional-use rights, cultures, customs, and social values
- Promoting job equity and equal access to employment opportunities for women
- Maintaining formal human resources practices and procedures to ensure that conscripted labour is prohibited at the Bisha Mine, including the inspection and auditing of national service discharge documentation for all Eritrean workers at the Bisha Mine
- Building capacity, by sharing environmental and social experiences and solutions with local communities and regional and national governments
- Actively consulting with local communities to identify and resolve environmental and social issues
- Promoting the use of grievance mechanisms for ongoing constructive feedback with workers and communities alike
- Procuring materials, goods, and services in a manner that enhances local benefits and protects against unethical practices such as child labour and forced labour
- Establishing social responsibility performance criteria
- Monitoring and reporting performance to senior management through periodic audits
Three Board Committees meet regularly to review CSR performance: the Social, Environmental, Health and Safety (SEHS) Committee, the Audit Committee and the Human Resources (HR) Committee.
The SEHS Committee meets at least three times a year, the Audit Committee meets at least quarterly, and the HR Committee meets at least annually. All of these committees report their meeting summaries to the Board.
Nevsun has an executive-level position with designated responsibility for economic, environmental, and social topics. The VP of Corporate Social Responsibility reports directly to the SEHS Committee. Our CEO formally reviews and approves our CSR Report and ensures all material aspects have received coverage.
Currently, Nevsun holds no memberships in associations and national or international advocacy organizations.