Governance and CSR Management
Oversight of Corporate Social Responsibility Practices
At Nevsun, we are committed to responsible operations and practices, based on national and international standards of safety, environmental management, governance, and human rights. We strive to ensure that our presence has a positive socio-economic impact to the host economy and the local communities. Some of our social responsibility commitments and practices include:
- Actively promoting, amongst all employees, an understanding of the cultures, languages and history of the communities, regions, and countries in which we operate
- Working to protect cultural heritage resources potentially affected by our activities
- Conducting our activities in a manner that respects traditional-use rights, cultures, customs, and social values
- Promoting job equity and equal access to employment opportunities for women
- Maintaining formal human resources practices and procedures to ensure that conscripted labour is prohibited at the Bisha Mine, including the inspection and auditing of national service discharge documentation for all Eritrean workers at the Bisha Mine
- Building capacity, by sharing environmental and social experiences and, solutions with local communities and regional and national governments
- Actively consulting with local communities to identify and resolve environmental and social issues
- Promoting the use of grievance mechanisms for ongoing constructive feedback with workers and communities alike
- Procuring materials, goods, and services in a manner that enhances local benefits and protects against unethical practices such as child labour and forced labour
- Establishing social responsibility performance criteria
- Monitoring and reporting performance to senior management through periodic audits
Two Board Committees meet regularly to review CSR performance: the Social, Environmental, Health and Safety (SEHS), and the Audit Committee.
The SEHS Committee meets at least three times a year, the Audit Committee meets at least quarterly, and the HR Committee meets at least annually. All of these committees report their meeting summaries to the Board. Nevsun has an executive-level position – the VP of Corporate Social Responsibility – with designated responsibility for managing the environmental, and social performance of our operations. This position reports directly to the SEHS Committee. Currently, Nevsun holds no memberships in associations and national or international advocacy organizations.