Corporate Social Responsibility

Community Assistance Plan

Rakita has updated its existing community investment procedures to align with the newly implemented Nevsun Community Investment Policy. The aim was to ensure consistent application across all of our operations when designing and implementing a Community Assistance Program (CAP) Plan.

Meeting with Rural Local Community

Decisions on community investment priorities will be made taking into consideration: the business context, community participation in investment decisions, regional and national government priorities (if applicable), and the risk assessment process.   During exploration, pre-development and construction phases, community investment will be focused, to the extent possible, on the following capacity-building themes:  local hiring (skills training and education), supply chain/procurement support, and economic diversification.

Rakita has updated its existing community investment procedures to align with the newly implemented Nevsun Community Investment Policy. The aim was to ensure consistent application across all of our operations when designing and implementing a Community Assistance Program (CAP) Plan.

Cooperation with Technical school

Decisions on community investment priorities will be made taking into consideration: the business context, community participation in investment decisions, regional and national government priorities (if applicable), and the risk assessment process.   During exploration, pre-development and construction phases, community investment will be focused, to the extent possible, on the following capacity-building themes:  local hiring (skills training and education), supply chain/procurement support, and economic diversification.

In 2016, monies were spent on Community Investment initiatives, including:

  • Christmas Gifts for the Association for Mentally Challenged (Mozaik) and for the Vidovdan School for disabled children
  • IT Training Program for the Bor Educational Centre
  • Donations in kind to the local public library

The 2017 Cukaru Peki Deposit CAP budget and community investment program is currently being determined and will be included in our ongoing stakeholder engagement activities.

Workplace Practices

Employees

At Nevsun, our people are our most important resource and we strive to ensure a safe, supportive, and rewarding work environment.

Employees

Due to its long history as a mining district, the Bor region is home to a well-developed sector supply chain as well as a skilled mining labour force.  While still early days for the Cukaru Peki Gold-Copper Project in respect of its construction and development staffing needs, Rakita endeavours to employ as many local personnel as possible; only seeking expatriate staff for highly technical positions or specific expertise that cannot be sourced within the region or in-country.  In 2017, Rakita estimates its new direct and indirect hire needs, in addition to the existing staff compliment, will number close to 400 workers. These new individuals will be geologists, land acquisition specialists, mining engineers, and office staff.

Local Procurement

Rakita uses local Serbian suppliers whenever possible for goods and services for competitive pricing, as well as further enhancing employment, and ensuring economic benefit is received by our surrounding communities from the activity generated by our business. Rakita estimates that approximately 83% of its goods and services were procured through local vendors and suppliers in 2016, with the remaining 17% sourced internationally.

SERBIAN SUPPLY LINES Total
Payments to local payroll, parastatal entities and local suppliers $10,252
Non-Serbian supply of goods and services $1,968
Total operating and administration $12,220
Percentage of Local Procurement 84%